Saturday, August 21, 2010

The One Ring (For Now)

S. and I have very different opinions about our wedding rings. Obviously, I'm a little neurotic about mine, whereas for him, the decision was pretty simple. For me, the ring(s) that S. puts on my finger on our wedding day are the ring(s) that I want to wear for the rest of my life. For him, a cheap, durable, easily-replaceable ring was a must, in case of an accident or loss.

So the hunt was on.

At first, we both really liked this titanium ring, with a carbon fiber inlay, from Zales (though quite frankly, you can find it quite a bit cheaper elsewhere online):

I'll be honest, I liked this ring a lot (and still do) because of the carbon fiber. S. and I share a passion for cars, after all, so it seemed like a solid contender. But my fiance is nothing if not diligent (I leave it up to him to research all major purchases because he's so good at it!), and his searching turned up the fact that the carbon fiber in these rings is softer than the metal and can scratch or fray. So, this one was out.

After visiting Zales in person a couple of times, and looking around online, the mister decided he wanted either titanium or tungsten, which he then narrowed down to tungsten carbide. Tungsten carbide is extremely damage resistant, and will still look new for many years to come. The only real downside is that it can't be re-sized.

With the metal selected, he just needed to find a ring. Enter www.sparklecartel.com, which features a new piece of jewelry at a discounted price until it sells out (usually about one per day). S. watched the website for a few days until a tungsten ring came up that he liked and that was it! Easy as pie. The best part? It was only $26.00, so if he does need to get another one someday, no big deal.

So are you ready to see his ring? It's very shiny, and we all know how I feel about shiny things!


(Personal photo)

Aww, our rings are so cute together!

How does your fiance feel about his wedding band?

No comments:

Post a Comment