Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Wedding Band Epic


Fair warning: this post is going to make me sound neurotic, crazy, and self-absorbed. It's okay. I have been known on occasion to be all three.

The hardest thing about planning this wedding (thus far) hasn't been picking the cake pattern, or finding a DJ, or an endless hunt for the perfect dress.

No, I have all those things squared away. The hard part has been finding a wedding band to go with my engagement ring.

If you remember, here is my beauty:



It's platinum, with a cathedral setting, and alternating round and baguette diamonds down the sides. It's a hard ring to match.

I've been going into every jewelry store I pass trying to find "the one". I haven't been having any luck.

I have quite a few considerations, too. First of all, I'm kind of superstitious-- I want to wear the ring that S. puts on my finger on our wedding day for the rest of my life. So getting something "for now" doesn't really work for me. I also want to be able to wear it both with and without my engagement ring. Because my e-ring is so large, a band will probably only look good with it if it's narrow. But a narrow band won't look good on its own. And I do want to continue to wear my e-ring where it belongs, and I do want to look married when I do (so no moving it to my right hand or only wearing it).

Secondly, I work with animals, specifically large, unpredictable animals. I don't want something that's going to break or fall out if I have a bad day at the ranch. I want a band that will lay flat against my hand and not cause a danger to my animals, or itself.

Thirdly, I love sparkle. I really, really want more diamonds in the band if at all possible, and besides that, plain metal looks strange with my ring.

Fourth: I have sensitive skin and all the women in my family have had reactions to their wedding jewelry. My engagement ring is fine so far, but it's platinum, whereas theirs have been white gold. I don't want to have to buy a platinum wedding band but I'm worried about long term wear-ability if I don't.

And fifth, but really key, is cost. S. already spent way more on my e-ring than we thought we would.

So, to sum up, my ideal ring:

-Will look good both with my e-ring and on its own
-Won't cost much
-Will be made of platinum and have diamonds.

Yeah, I know what you're thinking. I've been thinking it too, lately. Such a ring doesn't exist!

I'm coming to terms with this. Right now, my best solution is to get two bands, one to wear with the e-ring, and one to wear without.

Here are my contenders if I go this route.

This one has a slight curve in it, but it lies nicely along my e-ring:

Source

And one of these for everyday (animalday) wear:


Source



Source


Source

Of course, none of these are platinum (sigh) but I think if I want to keep it under budget I'm going to need to give up on that particular dream. My mom has this old trick of painting the inside with nail polish to keep it from causing a reaction. Hopefully that will be enough!

S. has also expressed an interest in maybe getting matching bands, so that might be an option too.

Did you have any trouble finding a band to go with your e-ring? What do you think of my choices so far?

No comments:

Post a Comment