Monday, August 23, 2010

Licensed, and Getting A Little Serious

Today S. and I took long lunches and headed downtown to the county recorder's office to get our marriage license!

The building is right on the bay, so after we checked in and were told to go wait by the windows, we were pleasantly surprised to see cute little two-person benches, and a gorgeous view to watch as we waited for our turn.



(Dark, crappy cell phone pic but I think you get the idea)

We spent the time giggling about various inside jokes and the "Wedding Packages" offered on a little laminated sign at the empty station in front of us. We joked that we should buy the available $10 sterling silver wedding bands and go freak out all of our co-workers.

The lady called our name after about ten minutes, and another ten minutes after that we handed over $50.00 and were on our way. Super, super easy and so quick that we had time to grab a bite to eat in the building's cafeteria:


(Our shared caesar wrap, which had rice in it and was warm. I thought this was odd but it was tasty, so whatever. Also a white chocolate macadamia nut cookie for dessert, and our brand spankin' new marriage license in its pretty envelope in the background!)

Painless, easy, and quick, and all it took was a form, an hour, $50.00, and a government-issued photo I.D.

Which brings me to the serious part.

It's ridiculous to me that just because I'm straight, I can walk into the county building and walk out forty minutes later with the California government's permission to marry. However, if my soul mate happened to be a woman, forget it. I won't get into the semantics here, because I don't feel qualified to, but I do know that Miss Stripes had a lovely post putting her feelings into words better than I ever could, and I do know that denying any human the rights available to another is just plain wrong, no matter what your belief system or orientation.

Here's hoping that someday soon, all those who wish to marry can do so as easily as me and my fiance, without great strife, struggle or heartbreak.

No comments:

Post a Comment