Monday, March 22, 2010

Going for a ride on the...


Teacups!

I love antique teacups. My grandmother had a beautiful collection that included several child-size sets. Whenever my family came over for dinner, she would take down a regular-size cup and saucer for herself, and a matching child-size one for me and my sisters, and we would drink from them. It's one of my most cherished memories of her.

So when I picked a "Victorian garden tea-party" theme, it was only natural that tea cups and saucers play a major role in the decor. Unfortunately, when my grandmother passed away, her collection of teacups was whisked away before I could say otherwise. Therefore, for my wedding, I'm starting my own collection.

My mom and I have been scouring antique stores for several weekends in a row looking for teacups. I have this grand plan to use them as candle holders on the reception tables (so people aren't tempted to play with or drink out of them) and then keep them afterward for my own personal collection. I've been very picky about what cups we'll buy, as a result, but I'm really happy with what we've found!

I don't recommend this for everyone. Antique teacups can be expensive-- most of the ones we've bought have been between $12-$25 a piece. And I only buy on the higher end of that spectrum if it's a cup that I really, really love.

It's been a blast to do this-- I'm learning more about famous names that I've been hearing all my life but never understood until now: Limoges, Wedgewood, Noritake have all become personal favorites.

Take a look at the spoils of our first trip-- we found seven "useable" cups and one tiny little miniature Limoges set that will be staying home the day of the wedding.


Aren't they adorable? I can't wait to display this collection in our home after the wedding, too!

I believe I'm up to 18 or 19 cups. The one in the middle in the picture above is called "Dragon Ware" which, while I adore, doesn't really go with my theme, so that one will probably stay home, too. But I'm thinking at least two or three teacups per table, some like they're supposed to be, other sets flipped over with the saucer on top of the cup and the candle on the saucer. I also have a few plates (without cups) that I'll set pillar candles on, and we have some crystal wine goblets I might use as well to add some height and dimension.

My dream for the centerpieces is to find teapots to use as vases-- but teapots are far harder to find! I haven't found one yet that I really like.

What do you think? Are you buying anything for the wedding decor that you'll keep and cherish afterward?

No comments:

Post a Comment