Monday, February 22, 2010

The Proposal

So we found the stone for my ring on Thursday. I knew he hadn't asked for my mom's blessing yet as his attempt to do so when we last saw her that Tuesday had failed. I kind of expected him to propose Thursday anyway, but that night came and went, and nothing. Earlier that day, while we were at lunch, we had figured out that Saturday would mark two years to the day since we'd met.

He did, however, say that maybe on Saturday we should go look at venues. We'd been tossing around 10-10-10 as a wedding date half-seriously (and then more seriously) for a while, and he said that if we were serious we should probably start looking.

This probably should have thrown up a red flag, but we'd been sort of planning since we found the ring (I was unable to resist!) and I just thought hey, he's finally getting into this.

So he had me put together a list, and suggested we maybe bring the camera and tripod along so we could take pictures of ourselves at each place to help us decide later.

Friday, we randomly found out that the college where we'd met had a garden on-site that could be rented as a venue. We added that to our list. The college is right near where I board my horse, so I requested we go there last so maybe we could go see her afterward.

Saturday morning came, and I again should have noticed something was up. He was REALLY fumbly when we left the house. He forgot to lock the front door, then tried to take the house key off of the key ring instead of taking all the keys out of the car ignition. Then he tried to lock our interior door instead of the security door. But I assumed if he was going to do it, he would have done it at Balboa Park, one of our favorite spots in all of San Diego. We spend most of the morning there, as there are venues scattered all over the park, then went north to a couple other ones, hiking up and down some hills near the local Presidio. Every spot, he'd set up the tripod and camera and have me stand in to set up the shot, then come running over as the timer clicked off to take a picture. Proposal wise, nothing. I assumed at that point that it just wasn't going to happen that day.

We stopped at one other park on our way over to the college-- that one was a definite no-- and then went to get some lunch, at McDonald's of all places.

Then we headed over to the college. We decided to start in the horticulture area, as that had a pretty little plants-for-sale area, and an arch that I vaguely remembered. We found the arch, and he had me stand in front of it to set up the shot. He kept fumbling around, and finally I snapped at him to hurry up because I had to pee. He told me, "Well, go pee then!" Luckily, the bathrooms were open. I went and came back, and he set up the shot again, and then asked if I was ready. I nodded, and watched as pushed the button and came walking over this time, instead of running. As he walked, he started out with something about how two years ago we'd met here. And that he loved me. And would I be his wife.

Then he got down on one knee and pulled the ring out of his pocket, where he'd wrapped it in a paper towel so I wouldn't see the huge box bulge, and I remembered to say yes, and tried to grab it from him to put it on myself. I gave it back and had him put it on. He tried to put it on the wrong hand. Finally, we had it figured out and then proceeded to make out for like five minutes. When I could breathe again (I was laugh-crying-- what the heck is that?) he told me that he'd gotten the whole thing on video!

He then proceeded to take a picture of us under the same arch anyway, only this time I look like I'm attacking him, haha.




After the proposal, we went and walked through the garden we'd really come here to see. They had a GORGEOUS gazebo. We were sold-- we met there, we got engaged there, and on 10-10-10 we'll be married there!

Oh; and just so you don't think I forgot, here's a picture of the ring, too! ~2 ct. cushion cut aquamarine set with round and baguette diamonds down the side in platinum.





2 comments: